Getting your head shots done for your business promotions is a big deal and how you appear in the pictures says a lot about your character. Your first impressions are an immediate unconscious reaction by your potential client. Your picture needs to communicate the right language to the person viewing it in order for them to work with you.
Here are some tips to help you prepare for your next photo head shot:
- Smile. People who look happier in photographs are viewed as more trustworthy, while people who looked unhappier were viewed as less trustworthy. In a financial test when asked who people would choose to be their financial adviser, test subjects chose the happier looking person every time.
- Look confident in your realtor headshot.
- Tilting your chin and pushing your face forward makes you instantly more photogenic
- Crossing your arms? Crossing your arms can signal defensiveness or resistance. When they are open at your sides you appear more approachable.
- Angle one shoulder away from the camera Angling one shoulder slightly away from the camera slims your body profile and creates a photo with a bit more depth. You don’t want a “DMV-style photo.
- Tilt your head slightly
- Squinting is based on the idea that people with wide open eyes look fearful, while people who squint very slightly appear more confident. Believe it or not, this actually works! People who squinted in their profile pictures were rated as more confident and more influential than people who didn’t.
- Practice smiling so it won’t look awkward when it comes time to take the picture.
- Sit or stand up straight
- Relax and remember to breathe
- Last but not least, Trust your photographer.